NASA Image Use Policy
Wednesday, May 13, 2020
Permissions for using imagery found on this website are the same as those listed in NASA's official Media Usage Guidelines
A few key points of NASA's media usage policy include:
- NASA content (images, videos, audio, etc) are generally not copyrighted and may be used for educational or informational purposes without needing explicit permissions.
- The NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal may not be used for any purpose without explicit permission.
- If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person.
- If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services.
- NASA should be acknowledged as the source of the material.
- NASA occasionally uses copyright-protected material of third parties with permission on its website. Those images will be marked identified as copyright protected with the name of the copyright holder. NASA's use does not convey any rights to others to use the same material. Those wishing to use copyright protected material of third parties must contact the copyright holder directly.
- Please refer to NASA's official Media Usage Guidelines for more information, and direct any questions to email@example.com